Chris Blattman

Best Movie of 2009

Yes, I know we’re only in week one, and yes, technically it was released in 2008, but Slumdog Millionaire will be hard to beat for fun and style in 2009.

Imagine what would happen if Baz Luhrman and Steven Spielberg collaborated on a Bollywood epic based on love, human depravity, and Who Wants to be a Millionaire?. In Hindi. That should give you a flavor of what’s to come.

Rotten Tomatoes gives Slumdog a 94%. The other 6% must not have stuck around for the sensational closing credits.

See the New York Times review here.

3 Responses

  1. Yes, I enjoyed it immensely.

    The fast pace carries you along to the end point you so keenly desire. Social comment is firmly in the background on this one, but part of the viewer experience is horror at the desperate poverty that underpins the storyline. So, the message gets through without sermonising.

    Yes, the credits were totally surprising! Like a sweet sherbet finish to a well-conceived dinner. But then, I’m a sucker for Bollywood.

  2. I absolutely agree! It was the first movie I’ve seen in a while that I wanted to watch again as soon as the credits were over. Very well-acted.

  3. It was an amazing movie! And the credits were definitely worth staying for. Another movie with a premise that doesn’t sound amazing but turned out to be terrific is the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Definitely have a watch if you find time, the 3 hrs is well worth it.

Comments are closed.

Why We Fight - Book Cover
Subscribe to Blog