I brunched with Amanda of Wronging Rights today. We both got our first traffic bumps when Tyler Cowen’s gaze settled on our sickly blogs. Approximate quote: “It’s amazing; his readers do whatever he says. If Andrew Sullivan links to me, I get a few hundred people. If Tyler tells people to read my blog, they come by the thousands.”
Which led me to wonder: what would the world look like were Tyler to take an authoritarian turn?
1. Wall street and Midtown: rampaging economists would spew from glass towers in waves to do his erudite bidding;
2. Mediocre ethnic restaurants would be stormed by libertarians bearing placards: “Free of us bad Pad Thai (and by the way it’s actually called Phat Thai)”
3. You would not be able to watch films for all the people walking out midway;
4. Generations from now, public librarians would still speak in hushed, reverent tones of “The Great Demand Shock”;
5. Economics PhDs would no longer think the Austrian school of economics is a place;
6. Six times a day, we would all blog, facing Fairfax.
Full disclosure: I am part of the problem, doing essentially whatever Tyler and Alex Tabarrok tell me. Technically, you could call this list of tyrannical Tylerisms an homage. Perhaps you can do better?