I’ve made some updates to my original list. One of these days I’ll get around to a full rewrite. In the meantime, here are some additions:
1. Portable mini-speakers or a portable tailgate speaker that will plug into your computer or mp3 player.
2. Exercise bands, especially one with a door attachment. I got this one and a smaller figure 8 band.
3. Noise cancelling headphones (and a white noise app for my iPhone).
4. A plastic water bottle. Dehydration is my worst enemy on these 24 hour Africa flights. So I bring a empty bottle through security then fill it at a water fountain. Flight attendants seem to refill big bottles without complaint.
5. High-protein energy bars for the flight. Skip the crappy meal and get to sleep faster.
6. Soluble hydration tablets. After a day of walking or surveying in Liberia and Uganda, I get migraines and feel drained. Same after long runs in the heat. The tablets are magical. I tried and like these ones.
7. Small tissue packs for all those many, many latrines sans TP.
Finally, currently on probation: