Down and out in northern Uganda

I’m on day four of my Uganda visit, but sadly have few blog tales to tell. The news that none of your development professors ever bother to mention in grad school: field surveys are 10 percent actual reseach and 90 percent administration. 

Or maybe I never bothered to listen.

Buried in budgets, grant proposals, games protocols, and database analysis, I won’t interview an actual Ugandan for another four days. By the weekend, I’ll no doubt be posting Liberia retrospectives for lack of Ugandan ones…

2 thoughts on “Down and out in northern Uganda

  1. Crap, I thought that maybe academia could be an escape from administration. Maybe I should be a boring theorist instead.

  2. Fieldwork is 95% logistics, administration, and management. The other 5% is the stuff we study in school.

    I wish I'd had a course in grad school that helped with that 95%…