Below is my academic research. Jump to my Policy writing, Projects, or Data. Also see my Google Scholar profile.
Works in progress
- “Predicting Local-Level Violence”, with Robert Blair and Alexandra Hartman
- “Can swords be turned into ploughshares? Experimental effects of an agricultural program on employment, lawlessness, and armed recruitment”, with Jeannie Annan.
- “Can’t buy me love? Experimental effects of a state employment program on electoral behavior in Uganda”, with Mathilde Emeriau and Nathan Fiala
- “Does entrepreneurship empower women? Evidence from Uganda”, with Jeannie Annan, Eric Green, and Julian Jamison
- “The general equilibrium effects of humanitarian aid”, with Julian Jamison and Christian Lehman
- “More sweatshops for Africa? Evidence from randomized industrial jobs in Ethiopia”, with Stefan Dercon
- “Entrepreneurship and women’s empowerment: Experimental evidence from Uganda,” with Jeannie Annan, Christopher Blattman, Eric Green, and Julian Jamison.
- “Building institutions at the micro-level: Long-run evidence from a conflict resolution program in Liberia”, with Alexandra Hartman and Robert Blair
Papers under review
Peer-reviewed Journal articles
- “Generating skilled self-employment in developing countries: Experimental evidence from Uganda” with Nathan Fiala and Sebastian Martinez, forthcoming in The Quarterly Journal of Economics
- “How to promote order and property rights under weak rule of law? An experiment in changing dispute resolution behavior through community education“ (2014), with Alexandra Hartman and Robert Blair, American Political Science Review
- The Logic of Child Soldiering and Coercion (2013), with Bernd Beber, International Organization
- Civil War, Gender and Reintegration in northern Uganda (2011), with Jeannie Annan, Dyan Mazurana, and Khristopher Carlson, Journal of Conflict Resolution
- The Consequences of Child Soldiering (2010), with Jeannie Annan, The Review of Economics and Statistics
- Civil War (2010), with Edward Miguel, The Journal of Economic Literature
- From Violence to Voting: War and Political Participation in Uganda (2009), The American Political Science Review
- Winners and Losers in the Commodity Lottery: The Impact of Terms of Trade Growth and Volatility in the Periphery, 1870-1939 (2007), with Jason Hwang and Jeffrey Williamson, Journal of Development Economics
Book chapters and review articles