Below is my academic research. Jump to my Policy writing, Projects, or Data. Also see my Google Scholar profile.
- “Reducing crime and violence: Experimental evidence on adult noncognitive investments in Liberia“, with Julian Jamison and Margaret Sheridan (Revise & resubmit, American Economic Review)
- “Measuring the measurement error: A Method to Qualitatively Validate Sensitive Survey Data,” with Tricia Gonwa, Julian Jamison, Katherine Rodrigues, and Margaret Sheridan (Revise & Resubmit, Journal of Development Economics)
- “Generating employment in poor and fragile states: Evidence from labor market and entrepreneurship programs,” with Laura Ralston (Under review)
- “Predicting local violence“, with Robert Blair and Alexandra Hartman (Under review)
- “More sweatshops for Africa? A randomized trial of industrial jobs and self-employment”, with Stefan Dercon (Under review)
- “Does poverty alleviation decrease depression symptoms in post-conflict settings? A cluster-randomized trial of microenterprise assistance in northern Uganda”, with Eric Green, Julian Jamison, and Jeannie Annan (Revise & Resubmit, Global Mental Health)
Peer-reviewed Journal articles
- “Can employment reduce lawlessness and rebellion? A field experiment with high-risk men in a fragile state“, with Jeannie Annan, forthcoming in American Political Science Review.
- “The returns to microenterprise support among the ultra-poor: A field experiment in post-war Uganda” with Eric Green, Julian Jamison, and Jeannie Annan, forthcoming in American Economic Journal: Applied Economics.
- “Women’s entrepreneurship and intimate partner violence: A cluster randomized trial of microenterprise assistance and partner participation in post-conflict Uganda” (2015) with Eric Green, Julian Jamison, and Jeannie Annan, Social Science & Medicine 133.
- “Generating skilled self-employment in developing countries: Experimental evidence from Uganda” (2014) with Nathan Fiala and Sebastian Martinez, in The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 129(2). Replication data
- “Economic Shocks and Conflict: The Evidence from Commodity Prices” (2014), with Samuel Bazzi, in American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics 6(4).
- “How to promote order and property rights under weak rule of law? An experiment in changing dispute resolution behavior through community education” (2014), with Alexandra Hartman and Robert Blair, American Political Science Review 108(4).
- The Logic of Child Soldiering and Coercion (2013), with Bernd Beber, International Organization 67. (Winner of the Robert O. Keohane Award)
- Civil War, Gender and Reintegration in northern Uganda (2011), with Jeannie Annan, Dyan Mazurana, and Khristopher Carlson, Journal of Conflict Resolution
- The Consequences of Child Soldiering (2010), with Jeannie Annan, The Review of Economics and Statistics
- Civil War (2010), with Edward Miguel, The Journal of Economic Literature
- From Violence to Voting: War and Political Participation in Uganda (2009), The American Political Science Review
- Winners and Losers in the Commodity Lottery: The Impact of Terms of Trade Growth and Volatility in the Periphery, 1870-1939 (2007), with Jason Hwang and Jeffrey Williamson, Journal of Development Economics
Works in progress
- “Do employment programs buy votes? A field experiment in Uganda”, with Mathilde Emeriau and Nathan Fiala
- “Women, violence, and voting,” with Tamar Mitts
- “War and cooperation,” with Edward Miguel, Michael Bauer, Julie Chytilová, Joseph Henrich, and Tamar Mitts
- “Forecasting crime and violence: Evidence from Indonesia”, with Samuel Bazzi, Robert Blair, Matthew Gudgeon, and Richard Peck
- “Building institutions at the micro-level: Long-run evidence from a conflict resolution program in Liberia”, with Alexandra Hartman and Robert Blair
Book chapters and review articles
- Show Them the Money: Why Giving Cash Helps Alleviate Poverty, Foreign Affairs, May/June 2014, with Paul Niehaus.
- Children and War: How “Soft” Research Can Answer the Hard Questions in Political Science (2012), Review Essay, Perspectives on Politics
- Post-conflict Recovery in Africa: The Micro Level (2011), in The Oxford Companion to the Economics of Africa
- On the Nature and Causes of LRA abduction: What the Abductees Say (2010), with Jeannie Annan, The Lord’s Resistance Army: War, Peace and Reconciliation in Northern Uganda (Allen & Vlassenroot, eds.)
- Child Combatants in Northern Uganda: Reintegration Myths and Realities (2008), with Jeannie Annan, Security and Post-Conflict Reconstruction: Dealing with Fighters in the Aftermath of War (Robert Muggah, ed.)