Employment and Poverty Alleviation
- “Everything We Knew About Sweatshops Was Wrong.” New York Times Op-Ed, April 27, 2017.
- “Bill Gates wants to give the poor chickens. What they need is cash.” Vox.com Op-Ed, March 14, 2017.
- More Sweatshops for Africa? IPA policy brief, 2016
- Let them eat cash, New York Times Op-Ed, June 30 2014
- Show Them the Money: Why Giving Cash Helps Alleviate Poverty, Foreign Affairs, May/June 2014
- Enterprises for Ultra-poor Women After War (2013)
- Can employment programs reduce poverty and social instability? Experimental evidence from a cash transfer program in Uganda (2013)
Post-conflict and fragile states
- What do we know about poverty and violence? The micro level (2014)
- Crossing the river by feeling each stone: How big bureaucracies can find their path in fragile states (2014)
- Turning swords into ploughshares: Ex-combatant reintegration in Liberia (2014)
- Can We Teach Peace and Conflict Resolution? Results from a randomized evaluation of the Community Empowerment Program (CEP) in Liberia: A Program to Build Peace, Human Rights, and Civic Participation (2011), with Robert Blair and Alexandra Hartman (See full project page)
- Patterns of Conflict and Cooperation in Liberia: Results from a Longitudinal Study, with Robert Blair and Alexandra Hartman (See full project page)
- The State of Female Youth in Northern Uganda: Findings from Phase II of the Survey of War Affected Youth (2008), with Jeannie Annan, Khristopher Carlson, and Dyan Mazurana (See full project page for details)
- The State of Youth and Youth Protection in Northern Uganda: Findings from the Survey for War-Affected Youth (2006), with Jeannie Annan and Roger Horton (See full project page for details)
- Impact Evaluation 2.0 (2008). Talk delivered to DFID.
- Impact Evaluation 3.0? (2011). Talk delivered to DFID.
Information technology and development
- Assessing the Need and Potential of Community Networking for Development in Rural India (2003), with Raul Roman and Robert T. Jensen
- Evaluation of Research Methodology and Survey Design Strategies in Rural Information & Communication Technology Projects (2002), with Raul Roman